Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 222: Galway and the Aran Islands (Inisheer)

In the wake of a week in Dublin the bustle of the city had me craving the country. Heading West to explore 'true' Ireland, I had no idea that I was in for one of the most memorable weeks of my 8 months of traveling Europe.

Traditional Irish breakfast.

Against my desire, I heeded Rory's advice to take the bus instead of hitch hike to Galway. When I arrived I didn't have any accomodation prepared as all of my couch requests seemed to fall on deaf ears. One surfer said he couldn't host me as he moved out of his apartment, but he was staying in a hostel and we should meet up. I would have loved to meet with him but I couldn't bear to stay in a hostel named Snoozles. Rocking up at the creatively named Galway Hostel, while checking in I had a strange experience.

Add caption
Add caption
Add caption
Add caption

The dude behind the desk asked me for my passport and when he read my name he said "That's funny, my girlfriend said we have a CouchSurfer named Ross staying with us tomorrow night. He's also from America." Though striking at the time, when I checked my requests, sure enough, Maria said that her boyfriend worked in the hostel. Unfortunately Maria and I would not get to meet because of two frogs.

There she was, cute as can be– and she was talking– to me. Angeline was her name, and she was not alone. Despite our fascinating conversation, it wasn't long before her boyfriend made himself known. Contrary to my initial dissapointment, we all quickly became friends. Tomorrow they were planning to go to a group of three small islands off the coast of Galway. As both parties had tents, I suggested that we join forces and camp together. Not only did they accept but after exploring Galway with them I knew that we were going to have a lot of fun.

Add caption
Add caption
Add caption
Add caption
Add caption
Add caption
Add caption
Add caption
Add caption
Add caption
Add caption
Add caption

The next morning I was awake before I had fallen asleep. The bus that would bring us to the boat left at 9:30 from Galway but I had personal matters to attend to... aka, bright and early blogging! Following a classic hostel breakfast of butter, jam, toast, washed down with some pathetic representation of orange juice, we soon found ourselves on a boat.

Add caption
Add caption
Add caption
Add caption
Add caption


 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


***ENTRY UNDER CONSTRUCTION**
please check back soon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails