Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Due Departure

Bright and early this morning, I woke up knowing that this was the last time I'd be waking up from my bed for over a year. The sun was bright, air clear, and I felt hung over. It was with that mindset that I began the process of leaving home. After packing and cleaning up from an merry party the night before, I said goodbye to Dad, Lola, and everything dear. We left the house eager to get on the road, unaware of the journey that would unfold in front of us.

This is the first time that I've been away from home under my own agenda (college doesn't count) and I await the world with open eyes and an insatiable appetite. I'm traveling with eco-hobo Lizz Burke and her vagrant lover, Sir Patrick Reck. Who have been blowing around since May, when they road tripped from Austin, Texas, through California, and back to the East Coast. Somehow, Lizz and Patrick's travel plans coincided with the end of my Brooklyn apartment lease, thusly I have the pleasure of joining them.


Our agenda is our own and will take us down the East Coast, to Florida, where we are visiting our friend, Sara, a marine biologist. While visiting we hope to witness hatching sea turtle nests! From Florida, our next major stop will be the flavorful city of New Orleans, which I'm especially excited to experience. After a few days in the Big Easy we'll make the trek back to their homeland of Austin, where they'll show me the sustainable habitat that they're living on. After Austin, I'll be on my own, making my way out to California, from which I'll fly to Berlin, but that's a whole 'nother post.

I'm already a day of traveling behind in blog entries, so stay tuned!

Onward and upward.


PS: Sorry about the blog format. You'll see major changes in a few days. Hang in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails